Saturday, September 10, 2011

My first post!

I've been talking about staring up a blog for months now but I always have an excuse "I need a new project" "I need to learn how to make it look super cute" "I need more coffee before I can even think about it" you know, important things have kept me from it. Well no longer! If you'd like to know more about me please see my "Candi aka "the queen of flattery" page.

So here goes. My first post. Ekkk why am I nervous?



When I finished this lantern this week I knew it had to be my first post. I LOVE THIS LANTERN. I also envisioned it all by myself and created it... that's right the queen of flattery (see my "about me" page) actually created something all by herself. WOOHOO.

I've seen several posts on message boards lately and blogs about making lanterns. I knew I wanted to make a fall themed one with leaves and utilize alcohol inks (which, though I'm sure others have done, I hadn't yet seen).


I created this using my cricut expression and gypsy. My base was the frame rectangle from George and the leaves are from Stretch Your Imagination (silhouette option, which I found funny since I'm obsessing nonstop lately about the arrival of my Silhouette). I resized/reshaped/welded them all together in the frame. Made 2 sections with tabs and then cut them out (I wanted each section to be 4" which is why I had to do it in 2 parts, if you wanted something smaller you could make a solid piece as long as it fits on your mat). I opted to use a metallic copper paper (
Wausau Creative Collection Metallics Cardstock, 12 X 12 Inches, Assorted, 30 Count (46409)which as a side note is such a great deal for 30 sheets of metallic paper for under $7! which honestly looks like metal in the daytime. It was a total PIA to weed out after cutting with my cricut (I used a depth of 4 and pressure of 5, if I did it again I'd likely go depth of 5 and max out the pressure) but worth it in the end. For the panels I reused some packaging material and I used my alcohol inks (browns & orange along with copper)... I didn't feel like it was opaque enough though so I added a sheet of standard vellum from J's behind the acetate. I attached the acetate to the cardstock with glossy accents, making sure to put the shiny side (ie non-inked) out. Doing this means it will look like glass! I then decided that I wanted the lantern to rest on a stand, so I grabbed some black cardstock and using my Martha Stewart scoring board I made basically a box lid. I cut out 4 little squares (used my nestabilities squares so they would be perfect and identical) and folded them in 1/2 gluing them on the corners to serve as little feet for my stand. I'm happy to report it's sturdy enough to hold up the faux tealight candle too! If you'd like the gypsy file feel free to leave me a comment with your email addy, I've yet to figure out hosting for files :)

I have plans to make more of these for other holidays, and some ideas for different panels and techniques!

PS: The flowers? Made and love them too, you'll be hearing more about those soon!

10 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I'm a sucker for paper flowers, so I can't wait to hear more about them.

    Yay for starting your blog! I started mine almost a year ago and can honestly say it has altered my life way more than I thought it would. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! Your lantern is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new blog Candi! Very pretty lantern. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific!!! I signed up to follow too - can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone! I look forward to sharing more projects with you all. I have everything from crochet to needle felting and more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Candi,

    I have enjoyed seeing all of your beautiful things. You are so creative. Your newest creation of the beyond gorgeous lantern really knocked crafting and creativity totally out of the ballpark. Adding the stand to the lanter was so clever. It really helped your already gorgeous lantern "shine" even more. Thank you for sharing your creativity and ideas.

    Hugs,
    Debbie aka doodlingdebbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mentioned on the Cricut message board that you were willing to share your gypsy file of the lantern. It is gorgeous and I would love to have it. Thank you so much for sharing.

    jmeyer1 AT woh DOT rr DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll send it to you tomorrow, just remembered that I tweaked it some on my gypsy after my test cut so I'll need to pull it back off to send you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. the lantern is sooooo awesome, I love it! I would really like the cut file if u would please. Thanks! marcia
    marshmallow1961@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, they mean the world to me!