Monday, September 12, 2011

Owl Birthday Card

It was my father's birthday yesterday, he's one of the few people on my short list I make cards for who I know saves them so I try to make really cute ones both to bring him a smile when he receives it in the mail. I've seen several versions of this card doing google image searches for "stampin up owl" and had to make one of my own.

My card base was cut with my cricut/gypsy using a file from 217 Creations blog (she has some amazing files and talent, you should totally check out her blog!). I stamped/embossed it with my Hero Arts woodgrain stamp and cut out the hole for the owl with a nestabilities oval.

The owls are from the Stampin Up punch, it's the only one I own and I never buy punches but when I saw this owl I had to have it. You can even use a scallop circle punch to add wings (again google image search is your friend) and it's sooo cute.

The balloons are pop-dotted and glazed with glossy accents, they were cut with my cricut along with the cake and gift. I used my BIC Markers
to color match them to the paper (paper is all from the Citrus Stack from DCWV) and for under $15 for 36 markers they are awesome (I also have the fine version and both work excellent on shrinky dinks too). I used my computer to type up the sentiment and the little sign on the front and then cut them out (using nestabilities ovals for the Happy Birthday). I used a brad and some string to hang the little sign. These type of cards are so much fun to decorate and I love how they fold up so small.

6 comments:

  1. Candi this card is great! You are talented! I never used Bic markers before, I'll have to get some and try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! I really like the markers, it's a nice selection of colors and if you do anything with shrinky dinks (my daughter loves them) the light ones are really nice because by the time they shrink down the colors are perfect. I use Wasau cardstock (110lb or 65lb) as my basic white and the markers seem to really flow nicely into/on the paper. Let me know if you try them and if you like them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this card! I am not real good at making scenes but you make it look easy! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so stinkin cute. I've never tried a card like this maybe I'll have to google how to do it.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY CUTE!!! You did a fantastic job on this card. Thank you so much for sharing it with us

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, they mean the world to me!