Thursday, October 20, 2011

Distress Inks

I promised you some organizing tips so here is my first. Are you familiar with the Tim Holtz distress inks? If you are I don't need to tell you how amazing and versatile they are, if you aren't then OMG am I about to enable you. We'll start easy, google them... set aside a few days for this, because you WILL be reading and looking and then going over to youtube to watch videos and asking yourself how you lived this long with out them, then you'll start reading up on which ones you must buy, stop there... you need them all. Ok ok, I don't own them all, you can probably do without a few of them ;)

Here are two cards I used them on, I can't take credit for the designs as both are cased (if you know where I found them let me know so I can give credit, I can't remember and I only had the images saved).

Both were cut almost entirely from my go to white cardstock with my cricut (see link, it's awesome and so cheap!) and then colored with the distress inks.
On the shell card the only part not cut from white paper and colored with distress inks was the sand paper background behind the shell (yes I used real sand paper, I love doing that with beach themed cards... just remember to use your junky scissors and NEVER your diecut machine)

Needless to say I adore my distress inks, and I needed storage for them. Look what I came up with!
It's a Stanley brand tool organizer (see thinking outside the craft store again paid off) You can find it here on Amazon Tool Organizer. It's the perfect depth for the inks (and yes you can leave the lid on if you want, since I hung mine on my pegboard I didn't feel the need but if you want to keep it on the floor or your desk you can keep it closed with the lid). I printed off the ink names on labels and then labeled all 4 sides (so I don't have to pay attention to which side is facing out when I put them back) and then sponged some color on each one as well.

Speaking of sponging... if you have inks you need a way to apply them, I really like the foam applicators you can get from Tim Holtz as well and while I like his applicator tool it was getting really old switching out the sponges every time I used a different color and buying one for each color would have cost far too much. Little shopping at HD solved that problem as well. I purchased a single piece of wood and then marked and cut pieces, used my sander (but a sanding sponge would work too) to remove the hard edges and then applied a layer of double sided foam and a piece of velcro. Just like that I had an applicator for each color! I think they are even easier to use then Tim's tool since the handle on that just got in my way holding it.
I'll be back to post again soon with my storage solution for my collection of Cricut cartridge booklets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments, they mean the world to me!