Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Organization, Distraction, & A Review

I'm attempting to organize some of my chaos in preparation for my big new arrival on Friday (more about that on Friday). As always happens I keep finding myself distracted, not by my little darlings this time (they are tucked into bed) but by all my pretties and the ideas in my head. For instance tonight I'm trying to find the top of my work table, I'm pretty sure it's somewhere under all these paper scraps. Of course I realize I need to put away the couple little things that came in the mail today, and well come on... if you get a new crafting toy you MUST play with it (that's a rule isn't it? I'm pretty sure it must be).

So before I dive into telling you all about one of my new toys I have another Candi fact to share with you, right after my love of glitter comes a love of shiny objects. I coat everything I can in glossy accents, and epoxy stickers... ohhhh I <3 me some epoxy stickers ladies (and any gentlemen who might be reading this, no discrimination here folks). I don't really buy all that many because (I'm cheap) I can't part with them, and because my 7yr old swipes them (she's a worse horder then I am!). A few months ago I found out about the epoxy bottle cap stickers, and immediately I realized I could make my own little round epoxy stickers. I bought a 1" hole punch and ordered some epoxy stickers from etsy and love making them. Long semi-aimless story later... I found out about the Epiphany Crafts Shape & Button tools this past week. Interest peaked! After spending the required countless hours reading every blog post about them I could find and watching youtube videos I felt that I needed to have one. I really wanted the button one but J's was having a 40% off sale and only had the round, so I ordered the smaller one.

Welcome back to the present. If you read all of that and are still reading go ahead and take a break, grab a coffee and come back for some photos and a review.

Side note, love the DCWV stack here, it has the perfect combo of papers for all your Halloween card making needs, cutesy stuff for the littler ones and more mature papers for adults all in one stack!

As I was saying... I decided to try out the "epoxy shape tool", I'm all for gadgets but let me save you a few dollars right off the bat. Don't buy it. Oh but its round and cute and lines up the epoxy sticker and punches the paper and pushes them together and bla bla bla. Yeah yeah yeah, I know I told myself all that too, which is why I bought it. Buy the epoxy stickers, they are great... thicker and even cheaper then what I found on etsy. Then buy yourself a 1/2" circle punch and call it a day. The tool might not be huge but it takes up space and is awkward to store, and look at my little shape. The poor thing has extra paper sticking out past the epoxy circle. This wasn't a fluke, I made 3 more and all were the same. GRRR now if I was just winging this with my own punch and their shapes I'd say it was acceptable but using their tool and their epoxy and they should be the exact same size and line up PERFECTLY.
For comparisons sake here is a 1" that I made with my own punch and stickers from etsy
See, it's perfectly lined up even without a tool to assist me. The 1" circle of paper and the 1" epoxy are both... wait for it... ONE INCH. I'm going to have to buy or borrow a 1/2" punch to see if the punch is off with the Epiphany tool or if its the epoxy stickers.

Now all of this said would you believe I was still thinking about the button version of this tool. I know I know I just said to save your money but come on, custom buttons... I mean have you SEEN the buttons? Then in a moment of brilliance (or desperation, hey don't judge) the little light bulb went off. I have a big bite ( you know the giant hole punch we all swore we'd use to set eyelets but we just use as an industrial hole punch?) That bad boy can punch though anything so ... hmm.... see where I'm going with this yet?
EKKKKKK!!!! Can you stand it? Oh I can't stand it... SOOO CUTE! Yup, I turned my epoxy circles into epoxy buttons with the big bite. CHOMP! (oh and no that little circle didn't come out perfect, I took a nail file and filed off the extra paper)

So... I didn't get any actual organizing done but hey we still had fun right? I promise to be back tomorrow with some actual organizing tips for you! In the mean time want to see my whole box full of little creations that I've made when I was supposed to be organizing? (see the little button & epoxy shape, they made it to the box tonight too LOL)

2 comments:

  1. wow! that is so cool!! You made buttons using the epoxy stickers! I've never seen them before here in Malaysia. Did you buy them online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Yes I bought the 1" epoxy stickers on etsy.com (usually sold for bottlecap necklaces etc) and the 1/2" you can also find there or the ones I used were from Epiphany crafts and ordered from Joann.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, they mean the world to me!