Saturday, December 17, 2011

Gingerbread House


Every Christmas Eve for the past few years my older daughter and I have worked on making a Gingerbread house, which inevitably ends in her getting bored and wandering off and my cursing at the gumdrops which refuse to stay put and at the colored sugar coating the floor, it's a wonderful afternoon or evening of time spent together and memories that last long after we've tossed the house.

This year I saw the adorable gingerbread house file from Lori Whitlock in the Silhouette store and couldn't wait to make one that would last long past this year's Christmas.

I made a couple of changes to the house, designing a layered roof (so easy with the Studio program) and using a wreath from a Lettering Delights set instead. I found some wonderfully textured cardstock in my stash that really does look like baked gingerbread up close (sorry no idea where it's from), glittered up the windows using my xyron, I cut vellum and tinted it yellow w/distress inks which shows so nicely when the battery tealight is on... yes that's right, I turned ours into a tea light holder by using little velcro circles to hold on the roof (these are awesome for this type of use and to use on paper purses etc:clear velcro dots)For the candys I used my stylus to round them out a bit and then coated with glossy accents, some glitter on the candy canes, 2 trees decorated by my daughter, and a scrap of Christmas paper with the perfect sized gingerbread man for the doorway.







4 comments:

  1. What is this silhouette and who makes it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, awesome job, as usual! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Marcia! The Cameo by Silhouette is the new machine I purchased. It's awesome! Far to many features for me to type out here (maybe I'll do a blog post soon, I know many of my followers are Cricut users who might not be familiar with it, and are missing out). You can read more and even download the software for free to play with at: http://silhouetteamerica.com/silhouetteCameo.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! I love your gingerbread house!!!

    Merry Christmas!
    Nadia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, they mean the world to me!