Monday, March 19, 2012

Birthday Surprise

My mom's birthday was this past week, so of course I had to make her something special. I've been waiting to make one of the amazing cupcake boxes from svgcuts recent Happy Birthday to You kit (please note that these files are svg's so you'll need a machine & software capable of cutting them, if you use a Cameo like I do you'll need the designer edition of the software or to convert the files using something like inkscape).

While these aren't really my colors my mother loves deep purples and reds, so when I saw this paper in my stash I knew it would be perfect.

I cut the cupcake box as large as possible on my mat (by rotating it a bit) so that it could hold the digital camera I bought to surprise my mom (her's died an early unfortunate death recently after having dish soap pour all over it... don't ask LOL) 

A little bit of distress ink added some definition to the edges of the flowers and I quickly colored a butterfly to add to the flower and a final touch of twine and it was finished. 
My mom absolutely adored it and it was too funny... she had one of those disposable cameras with her and she kept insisting on taking photos of the box and card before she would open it, my almost 8yr old kept saying "Grammy trust me, OPEN IT" I finally had to pull her disposable away from her so she'd open it :)  I look forward to making this 3d cupcake again and again and if I have time will have a few sitting around being adorable for my daughter's b'day party too. So many fun files, so little time! Until next time xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Do you ever enter any of your great projects in contests? You should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marcia, you're so sweet to suggest that. Honestly I have only ever entered the little St. Paddy's Day hat last week. To be honest the idea sounds overwhelming but maybe I'll look into doing that more this summer when homeschooling is more relaxed and I have a tiny bit more free time :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, they mean the world to me!