Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day & My First Challenge Entry!

Hi Everyone! Better late than never right? Well it's not midnight yet so I guess technically I'm not late <wink>

I've never really celebrated or decorated for St. Patrick's Day, say what you want about me but leprechauns creep me out. It doesn't matter how cute the graphics are that Lettering Delights and similar put out I just don't want them sitting around my house (I feel the same way about the whole "elf on the shelf" thing, if you'd like to stop following me now I'll understand... oh and don't even get me started on nutcrackers... true story: when I was a little girl someone gave me one as a gift, I was so scared of it I made my dad put it in the freezer before I'd go to bed) however this year I saw a few super cute files in the Silhouette store that I wanted to use.

Then (as happens more and more lately it seems) life got in the way of my crafting and I realized that today was St. Patrick's Day and other then one lonely store bought decoration on my front door I had nothing to show for it. Hanging my head in shame I moseyed on over to facebook and saw that Lesley over at Trendy Twine had a challenge going this month to make a project that included a shamrock, glitter, and twisted lime or holly green twine.

A little light bulb went off... I've never entered a challenge before and thought this was a perfect time! The project I was thinking of for St. Patrick's day definitely fit the bill for requirements and I just ordered a spool of the yummilicious (it's a word, or at least it should be) twisted lime twine, so I could force myself to use some of the sample I bought. Yes I'm such a craft supply horder that I've barely used any of my samples because I just love looking at them... what? You don't do that?)

Here is my entry: a 3d leprechaun's hat (so apparently it's the actual leprechaun that I don't like, no issues with the hats though you'll be happy to know).
The file is from the Silhouette store and it goes together so quickly and easily, the bottom is actually open too so this could be super cute to cut larger for a child to actually wear. I of course used my xyron to apply adhesive to the buckle and then glittered it up with gold glitter, the shamrock I had lots of fun with... I did a double row of the twine and then filled in the middle with microbeads and topped it all off with a light green rhinestone. 
I just love how festive and happy it looks sitting on my mantle! 

Thanks for looking! I'll be back again soon to share the project I did as a gift box for my mom's birthday this past week, and we're also at less then 2wks until my girls birthday party now! Eeeeek!

7 comments:

  1. Candi, I love this. You did a wonderful job. Of course, you always do. Thank you for joining us for the challenge.

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I love how you did the shamrock! Great project! Thanks so much for playing along with us this month at Trendy Twine!

    Stacey
    Trendy Twine DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. So super cute!!! :) I love how you used Trendy Twine on your project. Awesome glitter too!! Thanks for joining us for this month's Trendy Twine Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you did with the twine! So cute!

    Jamie
    Trendy Twine DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the St. Patty's Dat hat! I really love how you lined the shamrock with Trendy Twine and filled it with the microbeads, what a neat look! Thanks so much for joining us for the Trendy Twine challenge :D

    <3 Alyssa
    Trendy Twine DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! Congrats on your win on the challenge. New follower of your blog.

    Angel Johns
    www.scrappytweets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, they mean the world to me!