Monday, April 16, 2012

CASEd card leads to gift inspiration

Hi everyone!

I'm going to hang my head in shame, I haven't done a final birthday party post because I don't have one single photo of my girls in their birthday outfits together (note I didn't say not one single good photo, I don't have one single anything of them together) so I need to get them all dressed up again soon to take some cute shots and get some good ones of the embellishments I added to Lily's top. You were probably getting sick of all that bright pink & orange anyways right?!?!

Today I want to share with you a card and frame I made for my mother in laws birthday. I was having the hardest time coming up with a card for her, nothing felt right... I have several cards in various stages of completion on my table but none of them was "it". Then I saw that Silhouette posted a simply gorgeous card by a blogger named Suze (here is her blog and card). It was perfect!


So this is my CASEd version of her card, it's hard to tell but the front is layered and I love how perfectly my Cameo cut out the thin lines of the top design. Doing it again I would have used a glue pen to attach it, I ran it though my xyron but those lines were so thin that it was a total pain to get it clean looking without any little glue globs. The bottom layer is simply a image I found online (soft cream florals) that I did a print & cut with. I loved the cream on cream so much I decided to make a matching frame.

This started out as one of the $1 frames from Michaels. I gave it a quick single coat of cream acrylic paint, once that dried I put on a layer of Rangers Rock Candy. Then I went over that with some distress ink (I think it was antique linen), I decided it needed to be a bit lighter so I then did a quick white wash (just water & white acrylic paint sponged on). It's hard to see in the photos but it has a very shabby chic vibe going on with the cracks showing etc. Since these frames don't come with anything to protect the photo I cut a piece of acetate and used a corner chomper to round the edges and put that in. Easy peasy!

I also rarely make matching envelopes (I'm just lazy & yeah ok, cheap) but this set couldn't go in a plain white envelope so I quickly made a matching envelope) I also did a print & cut for the inside of the card.

The flowers were cut with my Cameo and the quilling is one of my first attempts so be kind :) I'm really looking forward to incorporating quilling into my cards and projects, my 8yr old is learning with me which is so much fun!

Thanks for looking and enjoy your day!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Candi another amazing creation. Love the soft colors. The butterflies and the flowers are so elegant. I love to look at your blog1

    Lesley @ Trendy Twine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment (and all of your others too) Leslie! They really make my day and I'm so glad you enjoy the blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! She will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just tooooo perfect! I was eyeballing one of those frames today at Michaels because I just used my other one up. Now I have to tredge back to the store. Thank goodness I just bought a paper quiller. hehehehe

    BTW, did I know you home schooled? How cool is that. My oldest is leaving me this year. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies! Rebecca, I'm not sure... did you? LOL I can't even imagine the feeling of having one of them being ready to head off on their own yet to college etc, you've done a great job! Those frames are great aren't they? One of the best crafting deals around, I need to get more actually since I'm going to make a similar frame for my own mom for Mother's Day this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, they mean the world to me!