Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Guest Designer for Trendy Twine ~ Blue Bird of Happines

Hi Everyone! Today I'm sharing the projects I made for my first of two guest spots on the Trendy Twine blog (as you know I'm one of the lucky ladies who was chosen to be on the new design team which starts next month, however I was asked to be a guest designer prior to that).

The theme for this months challenge, which you still have time to enter I might add click here to enter, is Blue Berry Twine & butterflies or birds. I adore all of the above so I was thrilled to be able to create something to share!

My Grandfather "Gramps" had a bluebird tattoo on his chest, I always remember him calling it his bluebird of happiness so this set is created in his memory.



I love creating gifts to go with my cards and this time I chose to make a home decor item. The 3d birdcage is a modified version of a file from svgcuts (the entire top lifts off), which I wrapped the base of with blue berry twine and then wrapped and tied the cage door so our little blue bird of happiness doesn't escape. If you're curious the blue bird and perch can be found on Canon's amazing creative park site, the files are pdf's meant to be printed & cut out but I modified the color of the bird in photoshop and then imported the image into Studio DE to trace and have my Cameo cut out. The cage was cut from metallic silver cardstock to mimic an actual cage. The flower on top is from Lettering Delights (with a bit of twine holding on the button center of course) and the butterfly is an image I found online and did a print & trace w/my Cameo.

Close up of the paper bird, the perfect pet in my opinion LOL

butterfly was brushed with some pearl ex to give lifelike shimmer


I had lots of fun with the card! I've been wanting to try this style for some time and finally created a file after looking at some images online. I'm not sure what it's technically called so I'm calling it a shadow box card. If you look at the image below you can get a better idea of how it's created. It's free standing yet folds flat for mailing (you can write on the back since the rest is one solid piece)


My base had the tree/branch welded and then I cut an additional layer to add on top. The little leafs have green microbeads on them held on with glossy accents which is nice and thick so they embed into it and won't rub off. For the cage I used an adorable little double bow of blue berry twine to hang it from my branch & I did one of my favorite techniques that I happened upon by accident. 


If you run your cut through a Xyron and then sprinkle with a metallic embossing powder and heat emboss it you end up with a finish that looks like hammered metal, I love it! Also how perfectly did my Cameo cut out the little bird cage & bird? Love that machine! 

The back ground was done the same way I created the clouds on my recent hot air balloon box. Using a hand cut stencil and distress inks with a blending tool. 

Buy your own spool of Blue Berry twine here: Blue Berry Trendy Twine

Thank you so much for viewing my Trendy Twine project, I'll be back again next Wednesday with another fun guest designer post as well. 


7 comments:

  1. This is stunning, Candi. You are so super talented. Your 3D projects always blow my mind. So happy to have you join the design team.

    Lesley @ Trendy Twine

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, these are stunning. Thanks for sharing with us at Trendy Twine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is seriously just beyond Gorgeous Candi. Love your creativity here.

    Hugs,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of the fun details on your card and project. The shadow box card is a fun surprise and the birdcage is just beautiful. You did an amazing job on your project. You are very creative and I am really looking forward to more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cards is fantastic and the birdcage is amazing. LOVE THEM!~Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, they mean the world to me!