Thursday, September 6, 2012

My 1st Halloween Ornament

I know the photo has a ton of glare but I couldn't wait to share this one with you guys! I'm so excited about how it turned out :)  I had been seeing a lot of people already starting to post the glittered Christmas ornaments, well I'm barely ready to give up summer and I'm not skipping fall so I had the idea to do a Halloween ornament. I LOVE IT!


I made the ornament the same way you see in the zillion tutorials online, using pledge/future floor finish (just pour it in, swirl it around gently to get an even coating, then pour it out... let it drain for a couple mins and then dump in some fine glitter... Martha Stewart's is great, cover the hole and shake like crazy, then pour out the excess. I cut the pumpkin face with black outdoor (Oracal 651 vinyl) and just placed it by hand. I made my own custom color ribbon using my distress inks and then used three of the new gorgeous Trendy Twine colors to make a 2nd bow. Oh I also used a bic marker to color the ornament top green, next time I'll try my alcohol inks for better coverage.

I must also comment on the candle holder it's resting on. Don't you love it? It's from the $1 store!!! All I did was paint it first with a coat of my beloved Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze and then I added a light coat of Krylon Glitter Blast (eeeekkk love that stuff, I want every color!). Took about 2 mins total and dried super fast too. 

I hope I've inspired you to think outside the Christmas ornament :) 

2 comments:

  1. cute!! I would never have thought of making a Halloween ornament:-)
    teachdanz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love the ornament and I love the stand! I will have to check out this glitter paint, your candle stick looks amazing and your pumpkin ornament looks awesome sitting on top of it. I am not ready to give up summer either and dread winter, but I'm going to make the best out of fall. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, they mean the world to me!